Rocker Arms

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Rocker Arms

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I remember reading a while ago that GM made a car that came factory with 1.6:1 rocker arms that would fit a fiero 2.8L. It was like the 3400 or something. Can anyone confirm or deny? Also would I need different valve springs on a stock 2.8L?
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Rocker Arms

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the first year or two of the 3100 had the 1.6 rockers that would be a direct fit to the fiero heads. They used a ball and fulcrum design. They were then changed out in the later years for pedestal mounted rocker arms that would need a decent amount of modification to get to work on the iron heads.

But yes, if you were to take 1.6 rockers and bolt them onto stock heads, they might not work too well. You would be over the max lift that the spring is rated for, so you would have to replace the valvesprings.

stock valvespring is rated at .420 max lift at the valve, and fyi the max lift on a factory fiero cam on the exhaust side is .410 at the valve.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

What valve springs would I want? Its $36 for the rockers from the junkyard, so thats the reason its sort of appealing. This winter I need to pull the intake to do LIM gaskets and valve cover gaskets, so I was thinking of something I could do while I was in there.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'm not sure, I'm working from memory here, but I do believe that you can use the 98111 springs from www.competitionproducts.com
TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

The Comp Cams valve springs part # CCA-980-12 are good for 0.500" of lift, and don't require any mods to install.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

.500 or not depends on installed height. If you install at 1.700", they're only good to 0.480" lift. Plus they're 3 times the price of what I suggest.