crank triggers?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

ericjon262

crank triggers?

Post by ericjon262 »

is there any particular reason other then packaging why crank triggers are sized the way they are?

example:

two crank triggers, one 80mm diameter, one 140mm diameter. the notches on both wheels are the same size in degrees

I could see where going smaller might cause problems, with the sensor not being able to pick up the gaps, but is there any reason a larger trigger would be a problem? seems to me like a larger sensor would be desirable, as the larger gaps would be easier for the sensor to pick up.
Attachments
crank trigger.JPG
crank trigger.JPG (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
fieroguru

Re: crank triggers?

Post by fieroguru »

Packaging.

While the larger wheel has wider slots, the surface speed of the edge is also faster. Since the notches are the same duration in degrees, the time it takes the notch to pass the sensor remains the same for a given RPM.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Yes packaging, however a larger wheel will be more accurate
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

that seems to be the consensus on most of the forums where I've asked about it, and that's what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, thanks.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Larger wheel is more accurate... that's why a good many OE systems put the triggering notches on the flywheel or flexplate.

However, larger diameter means greater MOI. The MOI of a basic Chevy flexplate is approximately the same as that of the entire crankshaft, due to the dependence of MOI on the square of radius.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Larger wheel is more accurate... that's why a good many OE systems put the triggering notches on the flywheel or flexplate.

However, larger diameter means greater MOI. The MOI of a basic Chevy flexplate is approximately the same as that of the entire crankshaft, due to the dependence of MOI on the square of radius.

that makes sense, it wouldn't be too big though, def not flexplate big, probably only about 7", but I haven't measured yet.