Is towing a Fiero long distance ok?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Is towing a Fiero long distance ok?

Post by Aaron »

We are renting a tow dolly to tow my new Fiero, and the Uhaul guys are telling me I can't tow a RWD car. So I changed my mind and told them I was towing a Lumina...lol

Anyways, if the front wheels are on the dolly, can we just leave the car in neutral and tow as usual? Will the constant spinning of the axles/tranny with the engine not running and the car in neutral cause any damage?

Thanks, I pick the car up on Saturday!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

If it's an auto, you will fuck the transmission within about 50 miles

If it's a manual, pop it out of gear, it'll be fine.

You can always pick up the drive wheels, lock the steering wheel with a "Club" and some rope, and tow it backwards.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

It will be just fine since it has a manual transmission. Don't try this with an auto.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

I don't know how far you have to go, but when I towed home an '84 (which I later dumped), I towed it on the front wheels. I was told by reputable sources that its bad to tow it on the drive wheels, as it spins the transmission internals, but they're getting their input from the wheels, not the engine. I know its death for Auto trannies, and I think its bad for manuals too.

I put the back wheels up on the dolly, turned off the key all the way to lock the steering wheel (its just a pin in the column, don't trust it), then got a static rope (one that doesn't stretch) and tied the shit out of it. Went around both sides of the steering wheel and down around the seat rails as tight as I could (seats aren't going anywhere). It made it up a very nasty mountain dirt road, out the paved part of said road, then ~60miles up the freeway just fine.
<Insert Sig Here>
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks a lot for the fast replies.

It is a manual. I've also heard it is bad to tow on the drive wheels, that is why I asked. I will try to put the rear wheels up, and lock/tie the fronts as straight as I can get them. We'll figure out which way is best when we get there.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Fastback86 wrote:I don't know how far you have to go, but when I towed home an '84 (which I later dumped), I towed it on the front wheels. I was told by reputable sources that its bad to tow it on the drive wheels, as it spins the transmission internals, but they're getting their input from the wheels, not the engine. I know its death for Auto trannies, and I think its bad for manuals too.
So then coasting down a hill in neutral is bad for manuals? :-P
Nein.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

I don't see how; The gears themselves are helical, but the whole works is splash-lubricated.

As long as it has lubricant, there's nothing like a sprag clutch that will bind while it's rolling.

When it's in neutral, the only load is the drag in the differential; which is desiged to spin freely in any direction... As long as there is lube.

Why would that cause trouble?
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Towing a manual trans car with the drive wheels on the ground shouldn't cause any problem.

If you do decide to put the rear wheels on the dolly, be warned that if the front wheels had toe in the last time the car was aligned, they probably have toe OUT while the car's being towed and it may not be stable. You may have to crank the toe adjustment a little bit to keep it from swaying.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The tow truck driver I consulted just said "drive wheels," so I assumed he meant either transmission. I wanted the car at the time, so I wasn't going to take the chance of grenading the transmission if I was wrong about it.
<Insert Sig Here>
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Another thing if you tow it with the front tires on the ground, you might want to take the front fascia off if you can. I guess it would depend on how high the dolly is going to jack your car up and how the roads are in your area, but you could potentially scrape the shit out of the front end I would think.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Another thing if you tow it with the front tires on the ground, you might want to take the front fascia off if you can. I guess it would depend on how high the dolly is going to jack your car up and how the roads are in your area, but you could potentially scrape the shit out of the front end I would think.
That was another concern of mine.

I am going to try to do it with the drive wheels on the ground, fronts on the dolly if I can.

Thanks again
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

I once had to tow my 88 auto. I had the rears on the ground and the front up. I only had to have it towed about 20 miles though. No damage done.
If you are towing a stick shift, its fine to just leave it in neutral and have the rears spining.
I really wouldn't trust the front wheels on the ground in any situation. Sounds like a bad idea.
If you are worried or if its a long haul, get a flatbed and pay some more cash.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

tow it forwards if you can - i've towed backwards many times but its far less stable that way due to having toe OUT when going backwards so it doesn't want to track as well
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

towed mine with front wheels on dolly, from central Minnesota to central Iowa, and had no problems with trans. ( 5 speed )
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

I've towed mine for hundreds of miles with the front wheels on the ground.
Secured the wheel with the seatbelt.
I was traveling at a steady 80 MPH towing with a Sonoma. Was so stable I almost forgot it was back there.
Accelerating or (especially) slowing down in a hurry is out of the question, though.
BRDS
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well we made it back to CO.

Everything went great, I towed at 70-90mph the entire time. Doesn't seem to be any ill-effects, other than that truck got the workout of a lifetime.
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

And I almost severed the tip of my pinky installing cams.

It's starting to fly together again... But I'm running out of fingertips :p