possiable timing gear?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fking74

possiable timing gear?

Post by Fking74 »

how does a car act if the timing gear went out? my car was running fine then I parked it and went inside few a few hours came back out and the car wouldnt start its getting fuel and getting spark but it seems like it has no compression doesnt sound right when you turn it over (no knocks or anything like that just turns faster than usual and higher pitch) ANYONE have any idea what could be wrong?
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Could be timing gear.

Open the oil cap and have someone crank the motor over while you look in; check that the rocker arms are moving up and down.

If it's jumped timing (and that does happen) I don't really know of any solid diagnosis other than to slap a compression checker on it. If compression is very low, that could be the problem.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Fking74

Post by Fking74 »

I used to have an 87 GT and it jumped time and I had to replace the timing gear and it acted alot like this one is now thats why I thought it might be the timing gear
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Thing is, v6 doesn't have a timing gear, it's a timing chain on two sprockets... Are we talking a v6 or l4? :scratch:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Fking74

Post by Fking74 »

its a V6 I am talking about the sprockets that the chain is on I think that one of them is worn out they are plastic from the factory and wear out I had the same thing happen on an 87 GT I used to own
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

Plastic Gear is a L4 problem. The v6 uses two metal sprockets... At least, all the ones I've taken apart did...

And the chain will stretch and start jumping teeth well before the gears wear out.

Not saying it can't be a cam timing problem... Just that it's unusual for a V6 to shit out the whole set at once.

Did you check to see if the valve-train is still moving?
Fking74

Post by Fking74 »

my V6 has plastic gears didnt check to see if the valvetrain is still moving or not