Coil overs???

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

product1620

Coil overs???

Post by product1620 »

What are the advantages of running coil overs as opposed to lowering springs, and regular shocks/struts; The only thing I can think of is adjustability and weight savings, but im gay and know jack shit about suspensions so, you suspension gurus please chime in! :thumbleft:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

You can run larger rear tires.

You have a larger selection on spring rates and heights, and springs are cheeper.

If you have the equiptment (scales) you can balance you car out by adjusting each wheel. There are equations out there that tell you how to shift your weight (i.e. adjust your coil-over, or move shit around) so you get the balance you want.
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
Tha Driver

Post by Tha Driver »

:salute:
sayonara
Last edited by Tha Driver on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I am using Coleman racing sleeves with QA-1 springs.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Same.

Cheapest sleeves/nuts I've found are from Coleman for $40/each.
Cheapest springs I've found are from Summit for $35/each.

Beyond that, it's just some cutting on your struts. Konis run abour $350/pair from www.shox.com
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I am also running those

Here is a link to my swap and info I found
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2251&highlight=
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
whipped

Post by whipped »

x4

with crappy kyb struts. Don't recommend them.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote:x4

with crappy kyb struts. Don't recommend them.
still better than the stock struts that have 0 rebound damping
whipped

Post by whipped »

true
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote:true
I have a theory that those stock struts were a factor in the snap overstear with the back end popping up without damping effects.

of course i've never experienced that, only slid the back out in the rain
whipped

Post by whipped »

I'm sure they would be good for a stock replacement w/stock springrate springs, but I think I have 300 or 350lb/in QA1's. So they work "ok"... I'm not bouncing down the road or anything...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

yeah stiffer springs NEED stiffer damping - so konis are the only way to go for performance and longevity
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I'm using Konis and Held kit. Not the cheapest but they worked out really well for the 88 cradle conversion. I've done two of these kits so far, it really isn't that big of a deal. cut the strut, paint, slide sleeve/ spring over, bolt on top, install, align.

Biggest problem so far is that the powder coating sucks. Its all chipped off and my springs look ugly/rusty already.

I have a set of KYBs that were cut up for a 3rd set, but I never got around to installing them.
DOHC GT

Post by DOHC GT »

I am glad this topic came up. I am about to put new konis in the rear. Can anyone tell me the outer diameter of the koni struts so I can get the closest fitting sleeves. Thanks.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Kohburn wrote: still better than the stock struts that have 0 rebound damping
Eh? My stock 88 struts and shocks have 0 compression damping and a boatload of rebound damping. I was surprised when I checked them after removal.
The KYBs I have now have both compression and rebound damping. It's hard to tell how much because of the gas preload.

Oh just a note, I ordered some 350 lb springs that I'll be using with my KYBs. Hopefully I'll have something to say about that (whether or not the KYBs have anywhere near enough damping) in the next week.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

I'm using the Held kit for the 88 cradle conversion as well.

I don't recommend them. They're using short springs that come out of their sockets when you jack up the car.

I'm using 350lb springs on the back with an aluminum headed V8.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

MNFatz wrote:I'm using the Held kit for the 88 cradle conversion as well.

I don't recommend them. They're using short springs that come out of their sockets when you jack up the car.

I'm using 350lb springs on the back with an aluminum headed V8.
I thought they cut the spring perches and put sleeves down toward the bottom for use of longer springs? Is that not the case? What's the free length of the springs they use?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Series, the pictures I posted above are held kits. You can order the springs in your desired weight and length. One kit I ordered I chose 300, the other kit was 325, its all up to you.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Jinxmutt wrote:Series, the pictures I posted above are held kits.
The ones on the KYBs?

MNFatz wrote:I'm using the Held kit for the 88 cradle conversion as well.

If the kit on the KYBs that Jinxmutt posted pictures of is the Held kit, thats identical to the Coleman racing sleeves. There isn't any other way to do it.
I found that 12" springs with 170lb/in rate gets me at the perfect ride height if they are just slightly snugged up against the seat. They don't fall out when jacking up the car... but that's barely stiffer than stock. If I used stiffer ones I would need some slack otherwise the car would sit too high since the springs compress less.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

yes, the KYB in the car are Held Kit. I specified the spring that I wanted. Did the same with the Koni Set.

These are a pic of the Koni in the car. I know the brake line is funky, I put it on the caliper wrong and didn't want to rebleed when it came to put the tire on and I realized I screwed up.. :) Its on the list of things to do this winter.