dual charged 3800

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

the-dude1

dual charged 3800

Post by the-dude1 »

so i have a 3800 sc that has been siting for a couple of years, and i need to rebuild it before it goes in the fiero. my question is if i were to put a turbo infront of the supercharger would i need to change the cam and what not?
seeing as how its already a boosted motor. im thinking im going to upgrade the pistons and rods as well(so the dont shatter on me) :salute:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

take the supercharger off and just put a turbo on it. No need to dual charge it. Not to mention expensive.

if you are to turbo, then get a turbo cam. a supercharger cam is setup different.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

Deffinatly gut the supercharger and turbo through the supercharger housing. Then do a turbo cam, and your goog to go. As long as you use a T3 turbo, you will be ok.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Keep the supercharger pulley as an idler and reprogram a BOV simulator to play blower whine.

Actually, just copy Sinister's setup.
L67 short block + L36 heads, intake = turbo ready 3800.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

yea i thought about going just turbo, but wouldnt it be sweet to have that instant power from a dual system!! why am i limited to a t3? also why are the cams different turbo vs. sc? this dual charge has been done before, how did they do it.. it is a unique wow factor that i would like to have to go along with the body im going to fab for it!!!
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Keep the supercharger pulley as an idler and reprogram a BOV simulator to play blower whine.

Actually, just copy Sinister's setup.
L67 short block + L36 heads, intake = turbo ready 3800.
Why not just overdrive and intercool your SC and be happy? I don;t get it, why fix a good thing :scratch:
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

or i could just go with the mp112 kit from thrasher!! it gives a lot more boost.. why fix a good thing, hummm. im a boost junkie and the stock or modified eaton m90 sucks in my opinion. i mean dont get me wrong it is a good match with a 3800. but they coulve picked a better one....
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The M90 is a good match for a stock L67, but it's really run WAY beyond its limits once the engine is heavily modded. It's not a good choice for big power. Either a Whipple or a turbo would be a much easier way to make big power... both are MUCH more efficient at high boost than the Eaton.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The M90 is a good match for a stock L67, but it's really run WAY beyond its limits once the engine is heavily modded. It's not a good choice for big power. Either a Whipple or a turbo would be a much easier way to make big power... both are MUCH more efficient at high boost than the Eaton.
With an intercooled, overdriven M90 or 112, you can make 400HP/400+TQ pretty easily, right? So are we gonna stuff 500 HP into the Fiero trannies/axles? It just seems a little turbo-junkie to do all that work. It seems like a like the turbo vs SC argument is like the auto vs stick arg and it seems a little futile to gut a SC to put a tubo on there and deal with mixture issues, etc. But hey, that's why I ask, I dunno. What are you expecting to gain? What are you gonna do to the rest of teh drivetrain to handle whatever you do?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

none of the intercoolers for the SC setup are really that good. they have a very limited cooling capacity as well as the supercharger itself being innefficient adding a lot of heat to the setup. if you just go turbo you will be more efficient, can use a better intercooler and thus can push the 400hp from the engine much more safely/reliably

you can get 400hp from a turbo swap or you can rebuild the engine with new rockers, cams, charger, etc and possibly destroy a piston from too much knock.

turbo is safer boost for the engine.

if you really want to dual charge then feel free but you will probably end up with less power due to excessive heat.
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

well guys i have decided that i am going turbo... but i dont want to use the stock intake from the 3800 or the sc housing, so looks like ive got to build one!! any pointers??
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

What about the manifold from one of them Grand National turbo 3.8s? Don't those line up even with the newer motors?

Be a lot nicer than trying to fudge together the entire intake tract over an open lifter gallery...
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

or you could take the gasket for the SC and cut out a flat plate to start with, then weld on a plenum attaching to the throttle body mounting plate.

like fiero-x

http://www.fierox.com/turboproject.htm

Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

That doesn't look too horribly shabby :thumbleft:

And we all know it goes like stank... Even if it does have a nasty habit of eating transmissions...
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Kohburn wrote:or you could take the gasket for the SC and cut out a flat plate to start with, then weld on a plenum attaching to the throttle body mounting plate.

Or you could BOLT ON the heads and intake manifold from a Camaro/Fierbird with the N/A 3800...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Kohburn wrote:or you could take the gasket for the SC and cut out a flat plate to start with, then weld on a plenum attaching to the throttle body mounting plate.

Or you could BOLT ON the heads and intake manifold from a Camaro/Fierbird with the N/A 3800...
you don't HAVE to swap heads. the intake will bolt up but then you have 12 injector ports :D

but he specificly said he didn't want to use the stock 3800 intake or the SC housing. :la:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

For some reason, I don't really think he was saying no to *my* idea... :la:

Maybe it's just my ego...
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

the camaro intake is not to bad a little generic tho... i do like the X intake i wonder if he would make another one?? what would be really cool and have a good look would be to rework a tpi intake to fit the 3800!!! im sure that is impossible but it would look sweet :afrocool:

so the X eats up tranny's
Mach10

Post by Mach10 »

TPI?!?

Man, just tie a log to your bumper; it'll work better.

While a well-designed and carefully built intake will look slick, "Looks" doesn't mean "works"

What's your motivation here? To build a hot motor, or a hot looking motor?

Better off with a Honda Civic; plenty of engine dress-up parts without the added hassle of too much power. :scratch:
the-dude1

Post by the-dude1 »

i wasn't aware that the tpi intake is crap!!! and my objective is to have a nice powerfull motor that also looks good. ya know you can have both, dont be so close minded about it :la: