Air/Water intercooler question

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Honest Don

Air/Water intercooler question

Post by Honest Don »

For the folks that have them, where are you mounting yours? I was thinking possibly where the stock v6 muffler sits but I'd like to consider a couple of other ideas before I settle on anything

Also, I'd like to keep the trunk intact if at all possible

Thanks!
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Turbo 3.4l DOHC, stock 5-speed, no A/C. Mine is going right in front of the transmission, where the stock V6 downpipe goes. I haven't gotten a pic of it mounted yet, but here is the area where it will be. Right beneath the header/crossover pipe, beside where the A/C lines are. It fits fine. It's tight, and kind of close to the headers, but it doesn't touch anything and is mounted securely.

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

I was planning to cut a couple holes in the front part of the rear storage area and put the IC in there to kinda "hide" it. Heat exchanger was gonna be between the engine cradle and the rear firewall at an angle with a scoop to help the air flow up through it...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Mrsleeve on here had a a/w intercooler setup and he mounted his in his trunk. I got pics here somewhere unless someone else or Mrsleeve himself posts his pics before I get to it.
Nemesis
ass

Post by Nemesis »

I wanted to keep my trunk and not cut anything. Eventually I figured a spot to fit a Spearco 231 cored liquid intercooler. Plumbing was a pain and this ended up nickel and diming me to about $600 without the price of the IC and pump included.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I mounted my heat exchanger up in front of the rad. The setup came off of a Typhoon.

I ran the lines for the intercooler down the drivers side body skirt, and up into the front bumper.

Here is a pic of where I mounted the intercooler

Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero