Fuel Pump 3.4 push rod

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

Fuel Pump 3.4 push rod

Post by dgzfiero »

Whats the top dog for fuel pumps nowadays?
My GT (turbo) died on me this afternoon, it shutoff in the middle of the road. I got it off the road and into a parking lot. I was thinking it might be the ignition module so I changed that out but it didn't start. One of my buddies came up and noticed the fuelpump wasn't coming on. We pulled it to their shop so I could look at it better. The fuel pump fuse(10 amp) was broken. I changed the radio fuse out for it and put a spare fuse in the radios place. It fired up once. Then it wouldn't prime up again. The fuse didn't break though. I'm going to look at it more tomorrow. Just wondering what is a good pump. The one in it is/was a GM 5.7 vette pump. Not sure of the rating though anymore.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Fuel Pump 3.4 push rod

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

nothing wrong with that pump. I used a walbro 255 in my turbo setup. No it wasn't a chinese knock off, got it for like $100. Some people will say its too loud, but I dont really hear it over the radio and the engine noise itself. Getting another vette pump should be fine again. I am wondering if you don't have a fuel pump wiring problem instead of it being the pump. That fuse blowing and then the replacement not blowing makes me worry.

Remember that once the fuel pressure is primed, it takes a minute or two at least for the the pump to prime again once turning the key off. if you prime it, then try to prime it 10 seconds later, it won't do it as the pressure is already where its supposed to be.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I'm replacing a friend's Walbro 255 next weekend. I've witnessed 3 Walbro's fail, and two of them developed an annoying whine before they went. All pumps have failed within a 10,000 mile range. I've already found an alternative, but am not at liberty to share that information in respect to the other members of this board. I'd use another 5.7 pump if I was you.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've had a Vette pump in my Northstar car for years and tens of thousands of miles and never had problems.
dgzfiero
Live from Ard's Cricket Ranch

Post by dgzfiero »

I got to the shop where it is at just as they were closing today. So I didn't get a chance to do anything. I'll check the pump and the wiring. Good to know that the vette pump is still a good choice , if the pump is bad I'll replace it with another.