Venting gas tank

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

S8n

Venting gas tank

Post by S8n »

How is everyone venting your gas tank? Are you keeping the stock charcoal canister and lines or doing something else? I really don't want a charcoal canister in my engine bay, but I do need a way practical way for the tank to vent. Suggestions? Thanks.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
whipped

Post by whipped »

I ditched the can, and put on a carb fuel filter just to prevent crap from entering the line... It sucks though, after fillup, the garage smells like gas for a week. I'm thinking about reinstalling it.
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

Can't mess with that stuff in Cali. Other then cleaning up the engine bay, why would you want to? Just curious.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My ecu doesn't support emissions equipment.

I plugged the line at the tank and have a vented gas cap.
whipped

Post by whipped »

jstillwell wrote:Other then cleaning up the engine bay, why would you want to? Just curious.
exactly, and more space.

crzyone, have you actually filled the car up since you installed the vented cap? :la:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I haven't filled it up for a whole year and I still have 3/4 of a tank hehe
whipped

Post by whipped »

yeah... let me know if your garage smells like gas after you fill it up. And you WILL fill it up, probably several times, during tuning. Most of the gas will be wasted warming the thing up.
S8n

Post by S8n »

crzyone wrote:My ecu doesn't support emissions equipment.

I plugged the line at the tank and have a vented gas cap.
Do you know at what pressure it opens at? That's probably my best (easiest) option...
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I think I am going to pull a fuel line and drain the tank with the fuel pump and add some new gas. This ond stuff can't be good for it.
S8n

Post by S8n »

jstillwell wrote:Can't mess with that stuff in Cali. Other then cleaning up the engine bay, why would you want to? Just curious.
Exactly. Need to make the engine bay purty. Removing all unneccessary lines, brackets, emissions crap, etc.. then going to POR 15 the entire bay.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
jstillwell

Post by jstillwell »

Can you just relocate it to a less visable area, say inside the fender?
S8n

Post by S8n »

jstillwell wrote:Can you just relocate it to a less visable area, say inside the fender?
Probably. I'm still trying to figure out what all the emissions crap is on this car....What's the container in the ps rear wheel area?
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
JamesCurtis

Post by JamesCurtis »

That's the expansion tank that came with 87-88 fiero's, something about it allowed them to up the fuel capacity a gallon or two because of it, but I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion. Someone else will probly fill you in on the details :thumbleft:
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

The charcoal canister is designed to "store" fuel vapors whenever the engine is not running. The EVAP system is designed to PURGE the canister at part-throttle while the engine is running.

If your ECU doesn't support an EVAP purge solenoid control function, not to worry. The stock Fiero 2.8 didn't use a purge solenoid. Instead, it used a ported vacuum signal from the engine to "activate" EVAP purge flow.

To make this work, all you need to do is find a ported vacuum source on your engine; something that doesn't get vacuum until the throttle is cracked. Then all you need to do is hook this ported vacuum source up to the small diaphram valve port on the canister. The other large port on the can that doesn't get hooked to the tank vent line can go straight to a manifold vacuum source. That little diaphram valve on the top of the canister will not allow ANY purge flow until it "sees" vacuum; that is how it is controlled on the 2.8 and 2.5.

You can relocate your canister to inside the fender area if you want to clean up the engine compartment. Mount it as high as possible and in as dry location as possible.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

JamesCurtis wrote:That's the expansion tank that came with 87-88 fiero's, something about it allowed them to up the fuel capacity a gallon or two because of it, but I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion. Someone else will probly fill you in on the details :thumbleft:
The tank needs to have room for the fuel to expand as temp changes. By moving that room into the fender, they could increase tank capacity.

I'd seen that on my '87, but didn't know that it wasn't on the early cars...
S8n

Post by S8n »

Then I guess I should leave it then, huh? So the charcoal canister can be completely vacuum operated then....I'll see where I can mount it. Thanks for the help!
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

S8n wrote:Then I guess I should leave it then, huh? So the charcoal canister can be completely vacuum operated then....I'll see where I can mount it. Thanks for the help!
mine is even mounted sideways with no ill effects - it just opens when the engine is running and vents the fumes to the quarter panel area where the air filter is drawing from.

(the engine looks very different now but the canister is still in the same place, far left)