86 Fiero update

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

86 Fiero update

Post by befarrer »

WTF?? I was almost done doing this the first time and the page refreshed and everything I typed was gone :scratch: :angry:

Anyway, I will start again, I went to my parents house yesterday, where my Fiero's are, and I was just the bearer of bad news, to me.

Here is my 86 Fiero as it sits now:

Looked at my 86 Fiero engine's bottom end, I spun the #3 rod bearing on April 13, my dad cleaned the crank up with crocus cloth, put a used bearing out of my 91 engine, and I had clearances that were barely in tolerance (I told him not to bother with this engine, but he thought it would work, which it looked like it will), this is what I see:

Notice the center #3 main cap, and the crank counterweight to the right of it, you see green drops. Check down the #2 plug hole, and I see coolant, and only coolant, check down the #3 plug hole and see only coolant as well, about 1/8" deep on my rod I stuck down there and that is in the middle of the piston, the engine is tilted back about 10º too, as seen in another pic below. So I must have blown the headgasket between the #2 and #3 cylinders. I dont know if this is what took out my bearing, or not, but this is what the oil looked like 10 days after I spun the bearing, and after the car ran for 2 minutes, shouldnt it be milky if it has antifreese in it?

http://members.shaw.ca/befarrer1/oil.jpg

My dad says that Castrol GTX (which I had in it) like to foam up at high RPM's, which I was doing when the rod bearing went. Which may have caused it too, or that the engine had 336,500KM on it. With a stock bottom end. The head gasket could have gone because the tapping I heard was probably the piston tapping the head, and that could have broken the headgasket, because there is alot of antifreeze in there and it drove off the trailer and in the garage 1 week before, that much antifreeze in the cylinder, would have bent a rod.

Anyway, I move on to my 91 Quad 4, my dad says the head doesnt look cracked, nothing is indicating that is was burning antifreeze, so I look, and see a good sized crack between the intake and exhaust on the #2 cylinder, took the intake valve out, and it is pretty large:

I will take it to the head guy in town here, have him check it out, see what he thinks, if no good. I will check the head on the engine in my Fiero, hopefully that one is good.

Here is the entire 91 head:

The Quad 4 engine is tilted rearward, but I didnt think it was this much, and I thought it was in the mounting, but it is actually cast angled rearward about 10º:

So I was hoping that I could have my 86 back on the road in a few months, but looks like it will take longer, so hopefully I could get it on the road before the snow flies again. So I will be putting my 84 Fiero on the road to drive this year (gets way better gas mileage than truck). It is not as fun, but at least I will be driving a Fiero. Fired it up yesterday, and started right up, no rattles, and pretty quiet for a duke. Dropped the battery bolt, and while looking for it, I notice CV grease everywhere, so it looks like I need a new drivers side CV axle, anybody got one for an 84 auto? I will probably pick it up within a week.

Thanks for reading my novel. Just had no luck yesterday, everythign I touched broke, even my ATV that I wanted to bring back, started right up, stopped it to find ramps, went to restart 30 minutes later and had no spark!! :angry:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I wouldnt' bother taking the head to the shop. Its junk. Find a new one. I know there is a guy on OE selling a HO head. Could try him.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

stack that head in the corner with the rest of the junk ones. What? you dont have any other junk quad 4 heads, well nows a good time to start the collection. Remember there are two different kinds though. Those that are cracked and those that are gonna crack.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Well my dad took the head off of the engine in my Fiero yesterday. Had other problems too, the head is cracked in the #2 and #3 cylinder, probably pretty large, and the head gasket is split through the fire-rings on the 3-4 cylinder and the 1-2, so I was loosing compression to the other cylinder, the #3 piston was hitting the head, which is what you could hear that sounded like a lifter in my other post, also, it looked like a plug tip had come loose at one point and banged around in the #2 cylinder awhile ago.

So that engine needs some work. I wanna build it up for boost, get aftermarket rods, different head, lower comp pistons, etc...
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

talk to bryson on here about a buildup. He has done one already. 400 whp.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Go all out of you can. 300hp from a turbo quad 4 would be fast and streetable. :thumbleft:
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I want to build it to hold that, will be a slow buildup though. But all the parts I have to upgrade for a turbo, I have to replace anyway.