Considering an SVO

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Considering an SVO

Post by AkursedX »

I remember a while ago I posted a thread about if you could make a Mustang handle. At the time I was considering buying a Fox-bod Notchback and seeing what I could do.

Well my buddy at work has an 85 Mustang SVO that he let me drive all last week while he was out of town. I must say that I am fairly impressed with the car. It was pretty darn quick, not neck-snapping fast, but quick. Handling is pretty good, but was still limited by the chassis. He really needs subframe connectors and strut and k-member braces.

They came stock from the factory with a ~200hp 2.3 turbo, koni shocks, recaro seats, hurst shifter, ~2850lbs, 4-wheel disk brakes. They cost a butt-load more than a GT at the time so most people kept them as collector cars and finding a nice specimen today is still pretty good even through only about 12,000 were made.

I have been talking to a guy in Columbus, Ohio about a black 86 SVO and am considering pulling the trigger. Rebuilt suspension, front mount intercooler, fresh paint on the body and undercarriage. But this would cancel my 3800s/c until the spring.

Anyways, I have been researching these cars like you would not believe. Some very positive things are that because it is still basically like other Mustangs, I would have HUGE aftermarket support for brake, suspension, and most body parts.

I was at first wary of the 2.3 turbo, but I have come to find that it is very stout and also has huge support. Lots of custom cams, headers, aluminum heads, DP's, exhaust options, and a lot of companies that specialize in that motor. And just recently on the Turboford message board, someone put down 511whp on a bone stock bottom-end with 95,000 miles on it!

So anyways, I'm still up in the air and I haven't even given the guy an offer yet. I do like the looks of the car and they do stick out just enough over a regular mustang. But at the same time, do I really want another car that's ~20 years old? I don't know. It would be nice to have this car as a weekend racer and my Fiero as a highway/twisties cruiser. I just wanted to get this out there and hear some peoples opinions.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

SVO is like the fiero, one of the few cars worth hanging onto from the 80s.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I say get it if its a good deal. Put a larger turbo on and you are good to go. he already has a few supporting mods done with the front mount which can be a hassle with plumbing and all and somewhat costly.

you can make 300 whp with a upgraded turbo, injectors and tuning no problem.

My buddy had a Turbo coupe thunderbird and for being a heavy ass brick it was quick. Torquey as hell. WOuld have beat my 85 Gt off the bottle very easily and he was bone stock.

T3/4 would be a simple upgrade for that car

After driving that with a larger turbo or hell even the stock turbo yu will prob think twice about modding the fiero and use the stang as your mod car. That stang has a ton of potential.

If you have the money, and the car checks out mechanically well and it looks good too at least good enough by your standards, then I say pull the trigger.
MNFatz

Post by MNFatz »

My friend bought a brand new 1985 SVO and I drove it off the lot with him.

They were about $1500 more than a GT of that same year and would stay with it. I believe 85 and older were 175HP, 85 1/2 was 205 HP and 86 was 200 HP.

It had a switch for cranking up the boost to 16 lbs from about 7. Kinda neat. You could run 87 octane and it would flash up to maybe 9 lbs. If you put in 92 octane it would go all the way up to 16.

I've been looking around too. If you can find a 1985 1/2--that's the car. I think they made somewhere less than 1000 of them.

Just a warning--they are a piece of shit. My friends was in the shop for at least two months the first year he owned it. They're good for driving on the weekends--not for back and forth to work.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

MNFatz wrote:My
Just a warning--they are a peice of shit. My friends was in the shop for at least two months the first year he owned it. They're good for driving on the weekends--not for back and forth to work.
Don't worry, I have my Jetta GLI for daily driving. Anyways, I gave the guy an offer of $800 below his asking price and he's willing to take it! I will probably go look at the car next week and if everything checks out, I'll probably have myself a black SVO.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

SVO's are hot, from what I hear. The engine's lighter than the 302, so it ought to be that much easier to get to handle.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Here's a few pics of the car I might be getting:

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

neat
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Looks like someone has installed a Volvo intercooler.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I once saw a widebody Fox pimping (I think) 305's at each corner.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Well I drove down to Columbus today to check the car out, and slapped a deposit on it! I'll pick it up next week.

The guy who owned this car did alot of work. He had all the stuff from the window sticker to every time it went into the shop and all sorts of shit. The car fired right up and purred like a kitten. It ran as smooth as my Jetta. The body is rust free except one tiny bit of bubbling that I will handle before winter.

Driving the car was awesome. It's not terribly fast, but it is quick. Probably mid-low 14's. The suspension has been refreshed and the car handled and cornered pretty good. The first thing it is getting though is subframe connectors, a k-frame brace, and a strut tower brace. That'll probably be it until next year.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

The reason I got my 5.0 is because I split it with a guy, and he wanted the chassis to put a 2.3 turbo in it. Told me they can handle huge amounts of boost.. He seemed to want it more than the 5.0, so... here we are..

So you need some upgraded exhaust for that puppy? ;)
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Congrats dude on the buy. I am sure you will enjoy it. Forget the 3800 swap. SVO power FTW.
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Thats pimp, congrats! We're starting to get some Converts; Ford FTMFW!!! :la:
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

product1620 wrote:Thats pimp, congrats! We're starting to get some Converts; Ford FTMFW!!! :la:
Dude go to a Ford forum. Do you go to Christian forums and find people converting to Buddhism and post about how happy you are that they do? :lamer:
product1620

Post by product1620 »

Wow, your so uptight, must be a notch back driver thing. :la:

I don't get why people are either die hard Ford or die hard GM, they both make some good cars, whats the big deal???
1998 Mustang GT
You can't piss on what you can't catch.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Brand loyalty. The only reason GM has gone totally belly up yet. I put the whole "Buy american" thing into brand loyalty.

On tot he SVO.. Want to do me a favour when you get around to it. If you ever pull the rear wheels off (It has rear discs n'es tpas?) grab me a complete measurement from rotor to rotor. I want to see how wide it is compared to a 67.. :D
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

We need a SVO and turbo 4 cyl RWD cars section!!! :la:
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)