3800 Rebuild

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: 3800 Maiden Voyage, and the list of bugs.

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Got the shorter axle in, which now is hair too short as you can see by the boot, but the bearing make contact in the tripot and it spins freely. The suspension is also hanging low, so when the weight is on it, it won't stick out as far. This is how I ran before, so we'll see.
It was a battle to get the shocks out, took a reciprocating saw and a air grinder to get them out, but they are in, replaced the hardware with grade 8 parts and threadlocked everything
For some reason the bolts for my struts will not let the nuts go down them, the one side I got both on, it was sort of hard, but they didn't take too much force. The other side, neither bolt will go on. I sandblasted them and hit them with the wire wheel to clean all the threads, and nothing, so I need to see if lowes has new nuts that fit better
Don't know if these pics have been posted, but for all you .nl'ers calling the grand am conversion a big brake kit:
Kicking around making this work, the guy who owned the fiero farm made one work, so we'll see, I need to make a dummy plug to cover the oil fill hole on the cover.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Fuck the cover. Be proud of your time, money, and energy, show it off a bit. Just clean it up, paint some things, and let that all show. I hate it when people put plastic covers over engines. My friend over the weekend put the Northstar cover over the motor, brain-storming how to make it look better. I took it off, and smashed it with a hammer.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Aaron wrote:My friend over the weekend put the Northstar cover over the motor, brain-storming how to make it look better. I took it off, and smashed it with a hammer.
That's the one guy who crashed your car isn't it. So you're back to having no friends again huh?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Wheels look good Paul! Remind me of some other sexshy wheels.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Emc209i wrote: That's the one guy who crashed your car isn't it. So you're back to having no friends again huh?
Yah, so what? We're still friends.

So what are your dyno numbers? When are you going to smash mine with your 3800? My car is totaled and I'll probably make it to the track before you ever do.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Aaron wrote:My car is totaled
CincinnatiFiero

Emc209i wrote:Wheels look good Paul! Remind me of some other sexshy wheels.

They remind me of yours lol.
Aaron wrote:
Emc209i wrote: That's the one guy who crashed your car isn't it. So you're back to having no friends again huh?
Yah, so what? We're still friends.

So what are your dyno numbers? When are you going to smash mine with your 3800? My car is totaled and I'll probably make it to the track before you ever do.
Aaron, emc shits on your personality, not your car. We can't dyno that. If paul wandered around saying the L67 made more hp than anything due to his exceptional "engineering," that's another story. Unlike you he tried both, and HIS experiential data says the 3.4TDC is a flaming pile of shit, but that's just HIS data. So let me know what you think about oh I dunno my L67 axle, or how I could fab a new intake, or kindly show yourself out of my thread, I like emc, and don't like you starting pissing matches, refer to the RFTVTW for that.
CincinnatiFiero

Got the big brake kit on, lolz
So these two strut bolts will not work for some reason. The nut will not go on the bolt. I am pretty sure they are the right ones, I even sandblasted the one to try to make it work. So I need to get a matched set from some donor car or something, this is preventing me from putting the car on the ground
So my heater line decided it got shorter in the rebuild, so $5 later at lowes:
Never worked on a trans before, so here goes:
Accumulator out
Piston out, "medium" shift kit longer spacer installed on the bottom half
Now the 1-2 spring is weaker than the 2-3 spring, so I replaced my 1-2 spring with a new ACDelco 2-3 spring, comparo
Pressed in the piston
The shorter spacer from the shift kit installed
Back together
Torqued down
In the car

Now, a tree fell on this car at some point, explaining why the roof never fit. Any brilliant ideas as to how I could pull this out?

Powdercoat is pretty
Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Tue May 26, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

weld pins and a slide hammer.
2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
CincinnatiFiero

A friend has one, now to get him to bring it over...

No real updates, I helped my friend put brakes and struts on his 300D instead of work on my car.

Got the fuel lines hooked up, I think the coil bracket will work, I am a little concerned about decklid clearance.
Got strut bolts finally so the car can sit on the ground as soon as my tuner lugs come in
I need to try to fab a fenderwell intake, I think I am going to go all .NL and use some black plastic plumbing pipe from lowes, for like <$15 I can buy a couple bends and it won't be hard to drill a hole for the temp sensor.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: 3800 Rebuild

Can I make A/C lines with barbed hose male/male fittings and worm clamps? A couple swaps on .nl have that, and I wouldn't mind hooking up my A/C lines.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Answer is no. Don't be nigger rigging shit. You know better.
CincinnatiFiero

That was my thought haha. Can't find a shop around here to do it. Hopefully I will have a pin welder and slide hammer this coming weekend to work on that roof.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The hose clamps will work, but you'll have to vacuum the system down to swap them out for crimp sleeves.
CincinnatiFiero

Like the CV, crimp type bands? Would you use that with a metal barbed hose fitting?
CincinnatiFiero

Never glassed before (if you can call this glassing) its baby steps towards re-doing my roof splice. $18 later at wally world, here we are.

I tried to glue it together before to no avail, laying some resin and some glass cloth
Flipped it over to glass from both sides
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Emc209i wrote:Answer is no. Don't be nigger rigging shit. You know better.
I LOLed!
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Never glassed before (if you can call this glassing) its baby steps towards re-doing my roof splice. $18 later at wally world, here we are.

You fiberglassing skills suck, theres no valleys and mountains that need bondo. You needs fiberglassing expertise from dem der boys down in Pennsyltuckey!
coinage

Post by coinage »

jelly2m81 wrote:
CincinnatiFiero wrote:Never glassed before (if you can call this glassing) its baby steps towards re-doing my roof splice. $18 later at wally world, here we are.

You fiberglassing skills suck, theres no valleys and mountains that need bondo. You needs fiberglassing expertise from dem der boys down in Pennsyltuckey!

I knew Id be ashamed to live in the same state as them...Bastards...
86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-