A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

CRIKEY!

Post by stimpy »

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed by Stingray, Telegraph Says
By Yuko Narushima

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Steve Irwin, known as the ``Crocodile Hunter,'' died after being attacked by a stingray while filming a documentary, the Daily Telegraph said.

The 44-year-old television personality died after the sting- ray's barb pierced his chest, the newspaper said on its Web site. The incident occurred near Port Douglas in north Queensland state, the report said.

Irwin began catching crocodiles as a nine-year-old boy, learning from his father who started Australia Zoo, the reptile park he took over in 1991.

A spokesperson for Australia Zoo wouldn't comment on the incident.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri, and two children, son Bob and daughter Bindi, the Telegraph said. Irwin created a furor in 2004 when he was shown holding one-month-old Bob near a feeding crocodile.
Last edited by stimpy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

wtfuckinfishkilledtehCrocodileHunter?
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

You have no idea how huge this is in Austrailia...

Every Aussie on the rig is devastated.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Awww man, that's not cool.

Rest in peace, Steve.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

But, that guy was like invincible and shit. I always did wonder when his luck would run out, but death by something as wierd as a hit to the chest by a stingray is just bizzarre. Tell ya what though, like him or not, the guy sure has a legacy to leave behind...
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Major bummer... I really enjoy Animal Planet. I watch a couple channels on the rare circumstances I can sit down and turn on the tube, and his show was one of the better ones...

Another show I really like lately, is Dirty Jobs, on Discovery... pretty neat show!
whipped

Post by whipped »

DiggityBiggity wrote:Major bummer... I really enjoy Animal Planet. I watch a couple channels on the rare circumstances I can sit down and turn on the tube, and his show was one of the better ones...

Another show I really like lately, is Dirty Jobs, on Discovery... pretty neat show!
2nd that

Mike Rowe is fucking hilarious!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Suck. Good wishes to his family.

I guess sting rays are poisonous?
whipped

Post by whipped »

not really... problem is it stabbed him in the heart
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

My father stepped on a stingray on the beach and it barbed him in the foot last year. The poison in itself is not fatal but according to my father who served in vietnam, "It hurts worse than anything that has ever happened to me" When he went to the hospital, they told him to take lots of benadryl and submerse his foot for several hours in hot water.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

whipped wrote:not really... problem is it stabbed him in the heart
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently thats the current story in the news. Early on some "professionals" said it wasn't long enough..
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The dude's hard core, apparently he pulled the barb out before he died. Course, the amount of damage pulling out a barbed object did probably only made things worse, but I think he was pretty much boned either way. Definately not cool, he was fun to watch. You figure it would've been one of those deadly snakes he likes to get nose to nose with. Funny enough, a short tribute to Steve just came on TV while I was typing this.
<Insert Sig Here>
whipped

Post by whipped »

Okay, I don't understand this, so maybe somebody can explain.

The guy on TV said it's likely he died "instantly". This reminded me of hearing about prisoner executions by firing squad - where they also kill you instantly by a bullet to the heart.

My question is, why would that kill you instantly? It seems like you'd be very much alive until your brain ran out of oxygen. Or does the brain realize you're fucked, and hits eject?? That doesn't really make sense to me.
88GTneverfinsihed

Post by 88GTneverfinsihed »

probably people have different ideas about instantly. Shotgun in the mouth, pretty instantaneous. Stabbed in the heart, he was probably conscious for a minute or two. He did pull it out.

Fucked either way.
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

whipped wrote:Okay, I don't understand this, so maybe somebody can explain.

The guy on TV said it's likely he died "instantly". This reminded me of hearing about prisoner executions by firing squad - where they also kill you instantly by a bullet to the heart.

My question is, why would that kill you instantly? It seems like you'd be very much alive until your brain ran out of oxygen. Or does the brain realize you're fucked, and hits eject?? That doesn't really make sense to me.
I have had a friend die of an an Aneurysm right in front of me while watching her play volleyball. 10 secs before, she set the ball for another, 10 secs later she was on the floor lifeless.

My guess is that even while he was stabbed, the heart was still kicking around some blood. However, as an aneurysm has shown me, complete loss of blood to the brain == instant eject.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

zonyl wrote:
whipped wrote:Okay, I don't understand this, so maybe somebody can explain.

I have had a friend die of an an Aneurysm right in front of me while watching her play volleyball. 10 secs before, she set the ball for another, 10 secs later she was on the floor lifeless.

My guess is that even while he was stabbed, the heart was still kicking around some blood. However, as an aneurysm has shown me, complete loss of blood to the brain == instant eject.
My friend who very recently died (which I wrote a quick thread about) got out three final words before he hit the shower floor... "Oh My G-D"

Instant is relative... but that shits pretty quick
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

God wrote:Image
Funny, but not cool...
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
God wrote:Image
Funny, but not cool...
Actually it would probably sell. Look at grand theft auto....