Anyone know about turntables?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

derangedsheep

Anyone know about turntables?

Post by derangedsheep »

So my brother and I decided against the wireless speakers. My parents just bought a new reciever (the old one shitted out) and my bro and I thought we would get them a good quality turntable to play their records. Their turntable broke and they have been turntable-less for probably 5-7 years.

What brands are good and what features should we be looking for? We are looking to spend a max of around $200. I found this: http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/c ... type=store I like that it has the SPDIF output. Is that one any good?

Thanks,
Steve
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

I used to own a Technics (Not for spinning, just for listening) but my buddies who are real DJ's (Not fucking wedding DJ's) only use Technics.. They stole mine once actually. That IS the brand you want really (Panasonic).. Also you want direct drive.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

I looked around for Technics turntables but can only find one in our price range. It seems kinda crappy, it doesn't have as many features as the Stanton and it doesn't mention wether it's direct drive or not. Since direct drive is better, I would think that if it had it, it would be mentioned (like on the other Technics models).

Here's a link: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process ... Id=3974004

I looked around some more and it seems that Stanton makes a lot of DJ equipment. It looks like pretty high end stuff.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I have an old Technics direct drive turntable. It kicks ass. It doesn't have automatic speed adjustment though, you have to tweak the trim knobs and follow the strobe to get it right. The new ones are likely auto..
Make sure you get a good needle and have a nice receiver.
Weponhead

Post by Weponhead »

DC Servo Belt Drive <<<<<<<< blind motherfucker, seriously... :P i know your impaired at all haha but read the specs. and that does seem like a bit much, i could swear my dad got one around that with DD within the last 3 years
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

You can also get USB turntables now, if you want to digitize your vinyl collection. http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults ... l&dclksa=1
I treat others as they treat me
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Weponhead wrote:DC Servo Belt Drive <<<<<<<< blind motherfucker, seriously... :P i know your impaired at all haha but read the specs. and that does seem like a bit much, i could swear my dad got one around that with DD within the last 3 years

Haha, I need to learn how to read.

You can also get USB turntables now, if you want to digitize your vinyl collection. http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults ... l&dclksa=1
I dont know about the USB ones. When I built my PC I got the Audigy card with all the front inputs so I would feel better with a brand that I've heard of and just hooking it to either the RCA inputs or in the case of that Stanton one, I could hook it to the SPDIF input right on the computer instead of USB stuff.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

I don't know about auto..?.. The 'good' ones that I've used/owned need you to tweak a knob until the strobe showed the dots on the turntable standing still..
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

I checked out the specs on the Stanton website and it does have the dots and the strobe light.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered it. They only had one left in stock and I didn't want to risk not being able to get it. They have a 45 day guarantee so if you dont like it for any reason, you can send it back for a full refund. If it ends up being shitty, I'll send it back.
JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK »

Ahh shit, I'm sure it'll be fine for parents playing records.. Tell em if they are going to scratch, to get the pad for underneath the record so the belt doesn't start to slip.. :D
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

JohnnyK wrote:Ahh shit, I'm sure it'll be fine for parents playing records.. Tell em if they are going to scratch, to get the pad for underneath the record so the belt doesn't start to slip.. :D
No belt, it's direct drive. It might even come with the pad, haha.