Ford 4.6 Bolt ons

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ford 4.6 Bolt ons

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Guy I ran into over here has a '98 Mustang. He's already put PI heads on it and is looking for more. Since I know basically nothing about this engine, I thought I'd ask around. He isn't looking to spend a huge amount of money, so best bang for the buck is the word of the day.

We ran across an article in the Sep '09 Sport Truck magazine about exactly this engine (even the same year) from which the mag pulled 405 HP. They had PI heads with what sounds like a good porting job (from 177/126 cfm stock to 226/209 are the only numbers given), 1 5/8" headers, Comp XE270AH cams and engine management.

Thoughts?
Atilla?
Atilla the Fun

Re: Ford 4.6 Bolt ons

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Yes sir, I'm your guy, I still read Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine every month, I stay up on these since I do have my '89 Mustang LX. I think I'll just give you a list, which might include some of the things he's already done. So, in this sequence, here's the bang-for-the-buck list: (1) Nitrous. (2) rear axle gears. Probably best to start with 3.73:1, unless he wants to go with a power adder, then 3.55:1, or a really high-revving N/A combo, then 4.10:1. (3) Traction. Like Drag Radials, and adjustable shocks. He can fit a 17x10.5" wheel on the rear, and that allows 315/35R17s. (4) PI heads and Ford's Bullitt intake manifold. (5)K&N FIPK, 73mm C&L MAF, 70mm TB and porting behind it. (6) Cams. I suggest starting with off-the-shelf cams from COMP Cams, their descriptions are accurate enough. (7) headers. The stock manifolds are surprisingly non-restrictive, which is why cams before headers. (8) a good tune. This should be before headers in the rating, but that would be dumb in the real world. (9) Underdrive pulleys. These could have already been done, anytime after rear axle gears, but this is the point where they belong in a rating of bang-for-buck. (10) Forged pistons, if the stockers haven't failed yet, then this is prep for what's likely to follow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Also posted here: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 959#196959

What do you think of their cam advice?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

238 at fifty won't pass emissions, and will require at least a 4.56:1 rear gear. This is also well past the point of diminishing returns, as anything over 224 at fifty will lose more low-end and mid range than it gains back up high. With a really good tune, 224 at fifty will pass emissions. Bear in mind that a fully ported PI head still flows no better than a stock GM LR4 4.8L head. This engine isn't working well above 5500 even with 224 cams. Going with the 238 cams will give a good peak HP number to brag about, but...
Really, the very best possibility is to go down to the local yard and spend $150 for a 5.4L, and then all that's needed, aside from gaskets, is either a hood or some spacers between the K-member and the chassis. Getting the exhaust squared away is no big deal. This won't help the peak HP number the least bit, it'll run out of breath several hundred rpm sooner, but the average power...