Almost lost my motor and car.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Almost lost my motor and car.

Post by p8ntman442 »

I did an oil change and when I drove out of the shop, all my oil poured out on the ground (most of it, not all). Put it back on the lift and changed the K&N out for the old known good filter. Still poured oil out. WTF. It turns out it was my oil pressure gauge plastic line. It got brittle and cracked.

I replaced it with copper line, and cleaned up. Had this happened on the road, It would have poured the oil on the cat, and I would have lost my car and motor. I went right to advanced and bought a new fire extinguisher.

I am so fucking lucky. Its all my fault for using the wrong type of hose. I didnt know, but now I do.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Another good reason to use synthetic oil. Yeah, you would have dumped $15 worth of oil on the ground, but it don't burn.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
whipped

Post by whipped »

plastic oil lines... nice.

you should work for GM :thumbleft:
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

well, nylon is what you get with the kit, and then I used a piece to lengthen it. I agree it was a dumbass move and I wasnt thinking.

and stimpy, I dont cry over spilt milk, or my $15 worth or Synthetic that I did pour out. Rotella 5w40
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

And Rotella catches on fire? Who knew.
My Fiero is now a Finale. The end.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

stimpy wrote:Another good reason to use synthetic oil. Yeah, you would have dumped $15 worth of oil on the ground, but it don't burn.
Huh, I never stopped to think about that... I'm going to go outside and burn stuff now... :thumbleft:
Boscolingus

Re: Almost lost my motor and car.

Post by Boscolingus »

p8ntman442 wrote:I did an oil change and when I drove out of the shop, all my oil poured out on the ground (most of it, not all). Put it back on the lift and changed the K&N out for the old known good filter. Still poured oil out. WTF. It turns out it was my oil pressure gauge plastic line. It got brittle and cracked.

I replaced it with copper line, and cleaned up. Had this happened on the road, It would have poured the oil on the cat, and I would have lost my car and motor. I went right to advanced and bought a new fire extinguisher.

I am so fucking lucky. Its all my fault for using the wrong type of hose. I didnt know, but now I do.
Man Law #202....

Do not let others know your mistakes, for it is the responsibity of others to find them out for themselves, and then make fun of you for it :la:
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

p8ntman442 wrote:I did an oil change and when I drove out of the shop, all my oil poured out on the ground (most of it, not all). Put it back on the lift and changed the K&N out for the old known good filter. Still poured oil out. WTF. It turns out it was my oil pressure gauge plastic line. It got brittle and cracked.

And what's wrong with an electric oil pressure gauge?
The less plumbing you have carrying pressurized oil, the better.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:

And what's wrong with an electric oil pressure gauge?
The less plumbing you have carrying pressurized oil, the better.

true, and next time the motor comes out I will switch from mechanical oil and water gauges to electric.